Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mountains and Valleys




This is a society of terror.


Everyone has a lawyer, a knife or a glock.


Hair trigger middle fingers and rights.


Nobody is wrong.


Democratic or totalitarian, the citizen is collateral damage.


Called 'friendly fire' when the Government does it


Terrorism if anyone else.




I climb the mountains of the working man's week,


Cresting Wednesday on a prayer.


Longing for the contented valley of the weekend


As I stagger down to Thursday,


Almost tasting Friday


Remembering Saturday's meadows


And hoping for Sunday's cool clear waters.




Without expectation I have no resentment.


Beneath your contempt I know your fear.


It is lonely in death


Knowing no life but for grasping.




Was it trillions you owed


Jean Val Jean still in jail


For a crust


And a child?




Where will you be


With the stem cells of abortus


Spare parts and botox?




When I hear an old love song


Played on a banjo


In the husks of a corn field,




As caribou paw in the snow to the north,


And crocuses awaken to promises of daffodils




Even you too are loved as we all are


How else could it be?


My enemy, my friend.

No comments: