Thursday, September 3, 2009

Surrender in AA

In the AA meeting tonight the idea of surrender was discussed. It's a difficult idea for some who don't like to admit defeat but we admitted that we were powerless over alcohol and literally stopped fighting booze. By the time we all came to AA the love affair was clearly on the rocks. We'd had our last 'round' with the bottle and accepted 'defeat'. In this way we 'surrendered to win". I was reminded tonight of the Japanese soldiers who 40 years after WWII ended, came out of their caves and 'surrendered'. It was apparent to many that we'd lost our personal fights with booze long before we realized the war was over. When we surrendered a whole new world of freedom became available. We came out of our cave and found this "Way Out" as the first Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous was called. Giving up alcohol and drugs we began living life on life's term. Reality, what a concept! When we recover we 'surrender' to our "higher power". Ironically we find this very difficult yet we had no difficulty surrendering to the negative effects and delusions of booze and drugs. I found when I changed my allegiance from the drinkers to the 'non drinkers' my life changed for the better. How could it not. I had a spiritual awakening. As C.S. Lewis would put it, I stopped looking for the architect in the wall of the building. Leaving my 'lower companions' I sought my 'higher power'. surrendering to a life of sobriety unimaginable when I was drinking. I could not think my way into new action but my positive action brought me a whole new way of thinking. For that I'm forever grateful.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Since fully sixty percent of the Body of Christ do not believe Satan is real, A.A. cofounder Bill Wilson's communication with evil spirits is generally laughed off or disbelieved.



C.S. Lewis believed it. When a concerned Tony Guggenheim wrote Lewis a letter informing him of Bill and Lois Wilson's Biblically forbidden activities, C.S. Lewis wrote back, "This is necromancy. Have nothing to do with it."

Susan Cheever 'My Name is Bill' pg. 207