Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Invention of Lying



Kirk called to say he was up for a Tuesday movie night. "Let's meet at Tinseltown." When I arrived he told me it was his birthday. I'm older by months. He told me he'd thought he was a year younger. "That's denial." he said. I wished him Happy Birthday, spoke fondly of how the year had been pretty good. I left out the World War III continuing to build in the Middle East, the fall of the Western Economy because of greed and theft and lies.
He told me he'd been living with a lovely woman for months. I told him I was really enjoying my motorcycle and had shot some grouse hunting. We ate Chinese food and caught up with each others lives between steamed veggies, ginger beef and sweet and sour pork.
The Invention of Lying was written and directed by Ricky Gervais and Matthew Robinson. Kirk later said it was the kind of movie where you knew the writers had a great time writing it. It's an alternate reality town where everyone tells the truth about everything , whatever comes to mind. This continues until one person tells a lie and thereby begins to rise from the previous 'loser' category. It's a tribute to the story tellers of all time and pokes major fun at social conventions as well as sex and religion. To tell the truth I thought about sex with Jennifer Garner alot. But so did Ricky Gervais and Rob Lowe. In the end it was really a romantic comedy. The Pizza Hut boxes were priceless.
After, Kirk and I walked over the Starbucks where we bought Americanos and bitched about debt and taxes and then discussed God, enlightenment and the shape of 20 year old female asses compared to 30 year old female asses. This was directly as a consequence of distracting variables. Kirk hadn't read Dan Brown's latest book so I told him it was about the noetic sciences. We talked about sailing and coffee, India and the Caribbean. There was autumn in the air when we walked out side to where he'd parked his car. Shaking hands and hugging we parted again till the next time.
I was all set to drag my sorry ass home when I realized I'd left my tech bag (purse) in the show, rushed back worried to the Tinseltown Theatres; huffing and puffing told the staff I'd left my bag.
"A black bag," she asked. "Yes," I said. "What ID name would be in the bag? " "Hay," I said waiting anxiously. She returned with my bag , truck keys, Treo smart phone, Sony digital camera and money all there. Just a reminder of the honesty of the Tinseltown staff and a reminder of how many good things happen and how we so often dwell on the negatives. The Tinseltown Theatre staff really are great people! Wow!
I drove the Honda motorcycle home feeling pretty good. Seeing a great friend, watching a terrifically funny movie, seeing the goodness of human nature, enjoying the autumn air. Life is good. God is great!

No comments: