Saturday, November 14, 2009

Vancouver Pen Shop Ltd

Vancouver Pen Shop
I told a woman who asked that the pen I had cost $200. Perhaps it was her look but I felt suddenly ashamed. Here I am complaining about debt and worrying about poverty, old age and sickness yet I’ve a $200 pen. Indeed I had another $50 pen and admitted I had a more expensive pen at home which I didn’t take out. As some sort of confession I admitted that I almost kept a very much more expensive pen I got as a gift for a family member but realized I’d never be able to appreciate it because I’d be forever worrying I’d lose it. Still it was hard to let go of that one.
And lose pens is what I did 20 years ago when I bought pens under $10. I lost them by the bushels. I’d put them down and someone would take them. I’d forget them. I’d leave them in the laundry and they’d make a mess of my shirts. I’d use them as tools to open things. Generally I went through hundreds of dollars of pens in those years until one day I bought a $30 pen. And kept it. Next thing I knew I’d bought a $50 pen and kept that. Now over many years I have several expensive pens and I don’t seem to lose them and I really do appreciate them. Cross are my favourite.
The fact is pens are male jewelry. They’re like watches. Another form of male jewelry. Until men could wear chains and not appear like pimps and wear earrings and not be considered pirates we really had only pens, cufflinks and maybe a tie stud to peacock with and fondle when no one was looking. As movies made the more valuable watches common knowledge, the pens remained ‘discrete’. I confess I got the gold cross pen to match the gold necklace and earrings. Embarrassing, isn’t it. And to think I wouldn’t have been caught dead wearing jewelry of any kind 20 years ago. Times change. One day we’ll wake up and be French Canadians.

3 comments:

Roberta said...

William,
You only go around once in this world. I just bought a Mont Blanc and have in 2 days derived more pleaure from it than I have more thigns, incluing my car. So let the Presbyterian thing go. Enjoy. Roberta

Roberta said...

William,
You only go around once in this world. I just bought a Mont Blanc and have in 2 days derived more pleaure from it than I have more thigns, incluing my car. So let the Presbyterian thing go. Enjoy. Roberta

haykind said...

I can only agree. Mont Blanc is truly wonderful but I get a lot of pleasure these days from several Cross and don't have the heart attack when one goes astray.

I spent more money on throw away pens and lost them by the hundreds whereas I've rarely lost my fine pens.

The Vancouver Pen Shop thankfully carries the Rolls Royces, Lexus and Ford and Mazda pens but only the best.