Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Jet Lag

I may be here in Vancouver barely awake but my circadian rhythm has me back in Cambodia.  I've simply not adjusted. Coming back from Azerbaijan a couple of months back I was a few days waking in the middle of the night.  Last night I was asleep by 9, only an hour or so after my flight arrived back from Hong Kong.  The trouble was I woke at 4 am and now I'm bagged.  I could seriously use a nap but have an hour to go in this clinic. Two coffees and a walk are barely keeping me going.  More fresh air planned .

Jet lag is a chronobiological problem , a disruption of the body's circadian rhythyms.  It's all to do with the transmeridian, east - west or west- east flight schedule.

I looked up the symptons and surely they're difficulty falling asleep if flying east and difficulty with early morning wakening flying west. Well, I sure had disrupted sleep and now poor concentration but I can't say I've noticed frequency of defecation. Surely I'd notice that.

Travelling east is worse.

No comments: