Monday, January 5, 2015

Istanbul Archeological Museums

These are terrific museums. I’m a great fancier of museums having spent days in them around the world. It began when I lived in London and took my lunch breaks wandering about the fabulous British Museum. I loved the Museums of Mexico City and Athens. The museums of Washington DC are really a treat.   I was just in the Hermitage last year.  This is one of the better ones with a really well thought out lay out and display. I always wish I had more time. But this day  we were on a schedule wanting to get to the palace before it closed. One could easily spend a most enjoyable day here.
When we walked through the museum, my guide Mehmet Tetik wanted me to see the highlights.
There are three main museums. Archeological Museum, and Museum of Ancient Orient and Museum of Islamic Art.  Renovations were going on so some of the most famous sarcophagus were not on display.  In particular the Alexander sarcophagus with the mostly intact frieze.
I liked that there were exhibits from the Hittites simply because I’d read of them in the Old Testament Bible.
The Ishtar Gate is truly an artistic wonder..
DSCN3488
DSCN3487
DSCN3490DSCN3491
DSCN3494
DSCN3493
The Kadesh treaty is the oldest known ceasefire. It was made between the Hitties and Egyptians from around 1259 BC
DSCN3496
DSCN3499

DSCN3498
DSCN3497
Great purple sarcophagus.
DSCN3500
DSCN3502DSCN3503


The Siloam Inscription is Biblical Hebrew from the 10th century bc. Mehmet told me that when he had guided Jews they wanted first to see this when they came to the museum as it is such an important treasure.
DSCN3510
DSCN3511

DSCN3509The Troy exhibit was most
interested. There were many cities at the site, the Red lines representing the Helen of Troy time with jewelry from Helen of Troy. Today's Armenian Kim Kardashian probably has much more impressive jewelry but in it's day this was no doubt Vogue. And given the story of her beauty, less was likely more.
DSCN3516
DSCN3517
The snakes head from the Hippodrome column was all that was left of the three heads.

DSCN3518
DSCN3521

There was a very informative exhibit on the Roman aqueduct system.

DSCN3519
DSCN3522
DSCN3524
DSCN3526

You can’t help but love seeing a man and his dog immortalized.



DSCN3527DSCN3530
DSCN3529
A bust of Sappho from the Island of Lesbos.


DSCN3531
Showing Persian time.

No comments: