Wednesday, May 4, 2016

More Gratitude

I woke this morning and my little cockapoo dog Gilbert was right there beside me in bed ready to snuggle and squirm.  With face thoroughly licked I got up and enjoyed having my own space, my own bathroom and living room and kitchen.  This is my space. I'm so blessed.  Thank you Lord for this home.

When I got dressed, throwing on jacket and sweats over my not for public consumption sleeping attired, I took Gilbert outside.  It had rained. The grass and foliage were so happy and green. I liked that after the rain scent in the air, fresh and clean.  Thank you Lord for the outdoors, the air, the scenery, wide open spaces.

Gilbert and I walked along the trail in the woods by the stream.  Yesterday I saw a family of mallards there and further along a family of colorful wood ducks.  I hear the Kingfishers while I walk Gilbert there and have seen the Great Blue Heron a few times. Thank you Lord for the forest and streams and the creatures of the earth.

I had coffee.  Thank you Lord for coffee.

I drank my coffee. Thank you Lord for coffee.

Then I shaved and showered and dresssed.  Thank you Lord for cleanliness, running water, central plumbing, heating, electricity, cities.

I carried my Laundry bag with me to the car.  I love my little Miata and I love that I can drop off my Laundry and pick it up a week later. If I had an in house laundry I'd be just as happy maybe more so but I really am blessed to be able to have my laundry done for me rather than waiting in the laundromat like I used to do as a student.  I still do it travelling sometimes.  Thank you Lord for the services that we take for granted.

I rode on the bus with Laura and the weekend. It was a bit chaotic and there were some of the undersocialized folk who share their problems with anyone in their environment. It was an experience to bus in my city as I rarely do this.  Laura is commutting by bus each day now and already knows some of the characters. I've noted that our buses 'culture' is less civilized than the Third World. But it all makes me love that I have the choice.  I thought of taking my motorcycle to work but it was threatening to rain and I had to take the Laundry.  I was glad to have the Miata Sportscar. Thank you Jesus for my little sportscar. It came into my life as a miracle. I had never thought I could afford one or would have one.  But it really just materialized.

I think sometimes that God has a queue of all the things that one has asked for in ones life and eventually he just keeps giving us things but not necessarily at the time we want them because of the back log of desire.  When I was a little boy I loved playing with a red spartscar. Then when I was 16 and we teen age boys were overnight bicycling to Kenora we met this great young man with a little sports car where we camped. He was travelling across Canada in his sportscar.  Then my great St. Boniface room mate the amazing dancer, singer, raconteur, all round terrific guy Fern, had an little sportscar and I was truly envious. We were 20 at the time.

My older professor of pharmacology friend had a miata and I began talking to him about it. He loved it. I loved it. Then I began to see them.  One was parked near Doc Side in the DTES and I admired it every time I worked in the clinic.  Then I had one.  It's a miracle. Thank you Jesus.

It's been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.  All round a fine little machine but just perfect for my needs.  The hard top comes down with a touch of a button so year round in Vancouver I drive it often with the top down.  When a squall comes up I just pull over and push the button and the top comes up.  It parks on a dime. It's fuel efficient.  There's just enough room in the trunk for Laura and I and Gilbert to go away for a long weekend staying in hotels or motels and feeling we've got the essentials. My brother and sister in law borrowed it for a couple of week trip down the west coast to LA.  So thank you God for my Miata Sports car.

Thank you for the free way.  Thank you for my office. I walked into the office and rather enjoyed this living room away from home. I really like my fish.  I don't like commuting but it's tolerable.  I am just thankful to have this work to go to. I feel often that I'm doing good too. I feel often that I'm being of service and that what I do would fullfill the Buddhist 8 fold path idea of 'Right Livelidhood".  I'm blessed to be with people who have the most amazing lives and extraordinary stories. It's hard to think I've been doing some variation of the same thing for 30 years and while the beaurocracy has become increasingly odious, threatening and dangerous, the essence of what I do remains fulfilling.
Thank you Lord for my teachers, my training, my profession, the art and science of healing.

The day continues with gratitude.  Thank you

No comments: