Sunday, February 18, 2018

Harrison Lake Hotel, Hotsprings Steakhouse, Chuck and Kitty's Cafe

Laura and I and Gilbert just returned from a wonderful weekend at Harrison Lake Hotel. I love Harrison Lake and Hot Spring.  I  have stayed at the Harrison Resort and Spa, the Bungalow Cabins, Harrison Beach Hotel and the Harrison Lake Hotel.  Each has it own charm and attractions.
The Harrison Lake Hotel was once the Ramada and then the Executive. I’ve been coming here for some 30 years. When Laura and I ‘ve come on the Harley we loved the safe underground parking.  Since Gilbert arrived almost 8 years ago we’ve not come on the motorcycle but rather in the car or truck.  I like it’s central location and easy walk across the street  to the Public Hot Springs Pool. All the shops are right across the street too.
The rooms have always been great.  Clean and well cared fo.  Elegant.  Nice view.  Good wi fi.  Great tub and shower. And best of all, dog friendly.
There was a problem in the past with the hot tub or sauna or something not working.  They’re all working now but I was only up there to get some canned cokes from the dispenser The sauna has been a luxury in the past.
There was also a lady once under previous management who surly. .  Not wanting to deal with her after one grumpy encounter we next went to the Harrison Beach.  There the rooms and service have always been superb and we kept going back each year.   Hearing about the new management at Harrison Lake Hotel we thought we’d give it a another whirl because the place has so many attractions.
The staff at the front desk were amazing.  Sad how one person’s attitude can affect a business but it does.  I had a borderline "secretary from hell" who almost ruined my business. I didn’t even know she was smoking crystal meth on breaks till a patient complained.  So I don’t blame owners too much.  The old saying is it’s hard to get good help and I’m actually much more amazed at how many people are so reliable that you really notice the bad apples.    Vacations are too few and too short though to take risks so we, like most people walk around trouble spots. . With the type of work Laura and I do we really appreciated the helpful caring upbeat attitudes of the new Harrison Lake staff.
We’ve loved taking long walks  around the lake and along the picturesque boardwalk.  The snow capped mountains and fresh air, and vast deep blue lake have been ever an attraction.  Sometimes we’ve gone swimming in summer. .  Other times we’ve canoed.  I’ve had my boat and outboard there fishing.  Mostly Laura and I love  the walks with Gilbert. It’s a favourite place for photography.  I’ve loved the sand castle and the town’s folk musicians.
"Taking the  waters”  in the public pool is the centre spot in each day.  $14 for entrance and towel.   Aboriginals came for the healing water long before the white man.  I love BC Hotsprings. Some people go for hours. People of all ages. Children and old.  I’m good for a half hour.  It’s healing.  I know it’s good for me.  I also can’t come here without remembering  bringing Mom and Dad decades back  and how much they loved the relaxation.
A real treat at Harrison Lake Hotel is the Hotsprings Steak House next door. They now actually provide room service but for years I’ve been going down and ordering steaks and bringing them up to the room to eat while watching a late night movie.  They’re always had great entertainers so while I’ve waited I’ve heard the best of talent. This weekend Jan Searle was a young Joni Mitchell.  With Gilbert Laura and I like to eat in the room and share bits of our steak with our very best little friend.  The steaks are the best. The gravy on the mashed potatoes was to die for and the straw berry cheese cake so tasty.
In the mornings we had the famous Hotsprings Chuck and Kitty’s All in One Breakfast Sandwiches.  The Hotsprings Steakhouse now has a full breakfast menu with appealing looking omelettes and eggs benny but Chuck and Kitty’s is a mouth watering tradition.  Their coffee is the best as well and they and their staff are so delightful.
It was a rainy weekend but Gilbert didn’t mind and both of us being fat from winter needed the exercise.  It actually snowed the next morning and the wind was so strong both Gilbert and I had to lean forward as we walked.  He did his business more quickly than normal and we both headed back to Laura with hot coffee and  Chuck and Kitty’s All in One Spicy  Breakfast sandwich.
It was simply awful that we had to leave.  But what a fabulous weekend retreat so close to Vancouver. Thank you Harrison Lake Hotel, Hotspring’s Steak House and Chuck and Kitty for making this a memorable weekend.   The hot springs themselves are so relaxing and healing.












No comments: